Friday, July 23, 2010

Journal: funeral

This week, we buried my husband's father.

Don was a retired Marine and a retired pilot. He possessed a kind heart combined with a strong personality (that probably prepared his son to better deal with me).

With each shot of the 21 gun salute, I grew more in awe of the young men in uniform before me. Although Don was in his late seventies, I imagined him as a proud young man guarding President Kennedy or being asked to be the youngest D.I. of his time. And I tried not to imagine the horrors he must have witnessed in Korea and Vietnam. As the handsome young Marine offered the flag to my mother-in-law, I realized that the sacrifices the young men and women in uniform make aren't only during their youth.

Rest in peace, Don, and thank you.

Journal: Write about a funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment