Friday, May 30, 2008

Subway addiction

No, not the sandwich. The transportation system.
I've been fascinated with subway systems for years. People who have known me my whole life don't know this about me. Who came up with the idea to dig underground and let a bunch of people travel that way? It's so cool.
Next time you get to visit a subway, check out the walls. The artwork is often spectacular. It's a genre all its own, that's for sure. Below is a picture from Boston's subway system. It was the FIRST subway in America.

The first subway I ever rode was in Washington D.C. when I was 12 or 13 years old. The man let me ride for free since it was my first time. He was so nice and told me that I was supposed to go home and tell everyone how friendly D.C. was.
Below is a picture of me in London. "The tube" was the first subway system ever built. It reminded me of something from Star Wars or some other science fiction setting, which explains my pose. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Below is a picture of me from several years ago at New York City's subway.


This last one was taken this weekend when we went to Philadelphia for the Memorial Day weekend. I love the colorful artwork. After trying to figure out how to get a ticket, one of our friends pointed out a sign. It said something about a bathroom break and to just go through the gate. So, we got to ride the Philadelphia subway for free. Who says no one ever gets a free ride these days?

Journal: Write about something no one knows about you...or....Create a character and write about something no one knows about him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment