Thursday, December 22, 2011

5th Annual Inklings Christmas Tea


The month of December is rife with festivities. One of my favorites is my writing group's Christmas party. It is the only time of the year we allow ourselves to meet when we don't work on writing. Sure, we talk about writing. For instance, this year we discussed Dee Dee's upcoming release. Mostly we get really caffeinated, nosh on yummy treats, laugh a lot, and exchange gifts.

Five years ago, Sonia, our tea expert, first introduced the idea to our group with a great tea room with hats to wear.
The festive mood was amplified since a group of little girls had a tea party nearby. In addition to hats, the girls had access to a trunk full of fancy dress up clothes.  It became clear to me then: Girls of all ages enjoy tea parties. The next year we went to Inspirations Tea Room in Edmond, and we've returned every year.

We'd tried various methods of gift exchange, but Lisa, our member who can pull a party out of her purse, promoted the idea of SWAG (Stuff We All Get).   I love it!  And I'm always impressed with everone's ability to shop and give the perfect gift for under $5. (One year Kelly gave us Harney and Sons tea samples and I fell in love with Paris.)


Did the Fireside Poets have this much fun together? Did Percy and Mary Shelley have as many laughs with Lord Byron and John William Polidori?

In making such comparisons am I having delusions of grandeur? Maybe.

Okay, yeah, probably.

But I plan to have a bookshelf filled with books by the Inklings--and I'll nestle a few in from Friends of the Inklings like Lela Davidson, Sara Hoklotubbe, William Bernhardt and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment