Friday, June 25, 2010

Journal: Collections

Cookie jars fill the window of a local antique and collectibles shop. On the second shelf is a mouse cookie jar like one we had when I was a kid. We didn't have it long. Maybe the idea of having a mouse around a bunch of crumbs bothered my mom the same way it did me.Waiting at the stoplight, I always glance over at the cookie jar display and wonder where the collection came from and where they will go next.

When I was a child, my grandmother was extremely concerned I didn't collect anything. My brother collected buttons. And he kept boxes of unopened Star Wars action figures in his closet. Grandma believed every child should collect something, so she began bringing me spoons when she went on a trip. She was a tad flustered when I asked her why anyone would collect spoons without a fork and knife. Many years and a lot of spoons later I realized I collected coins. I loved when people brought me money from far away lands like Canada or Mexico and was thrilled when I'd discover something as ancient as a wheat penny or buffalo nickel. I wanted to savor the possibility of travel and keep history safe. I'd just never thought of my little stash as a collection. They were simply something I kept in a tin in the top drawer of my dresser.

What people collect reveals something about them. The serial killer for which the tv series Dexter is named collects blood samples of his victims. He's a blood spatter analyst.

Journal: Do you have a collection? Write about it. What does your collection say about you? OR Create a character interacting with his or her collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment