Friday, April 16, 2010

Journal: nursery rhyme re-do

Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater
had a wife and couldn't keep her.
He put her in a pumpkin shell
and there he kept her very well.

Does this strike anyone else as creepy? It's in one of my son's nursery rhyme books. I've heard it my whole life, but the more I read it, the more my mind creates horrible stories to fill in the blanks left by the story.

I mean, why couldn't he keep his wife?
Was she running away and so he put her in a vegetable prison?
Was he angry that she was in love with someone else and so he made her into a pumpkin pie?
The most innocent excuse for this story is that Peter didn't have a lot of money and had trouble taking care of her, so he made her a home out of pumpkin shells, but still....

Journal: Consider a nursery rhyme and write the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment