Friday, February 26, 2010

Journal: point of view

Sometimes, when I read a first person narrative, I'm reminded of my philosophy class in college.

It was the only class I ever fell asleep in. More than once I awoke with a jerk and realized I'd drooled on my notebook. But the class was so boring! All everyone did was talktalktalk about other people's thoughtsthoughtsthoughts. I needed some action.

Often, first person POV easily becomes too introspective. It's not fun to read about someone's thoughts all the time. Inject action!

Journal: Write a scene from first person point of view. Have your narrator observing something. Be sure to inject action and/or dialogue elements to prevent the scene from being blah. For fun, remember that first person POV can be biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment