Friday, November 27, 2009

Journal: Know what you like

I've done this exercise many times, but I recently saw a version of it somewhere and did it again. It helps remind me of what makes a good story. Rather, what makes a good story for me. And who are you writing for anyway? If the writer doesn't like it, will anyone else?

1. Make a list of your favorite stories or characters (movies, plays, books, etc.).
2. What do they have in common?
3. Make a list of your least favorite stories or characters.
4. What do they have in common?
5. Write a story that contains as many of your favorites as possible and don't use the other.

Happy writing.

4 comments:

  1. I think thats great advice. Sometimes I catch myself trying to write what I think has a better chance of getting published instead of just writing for myself. And predictably its those stories that never get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've tried writing for the market and found I can't finish those stories, either.

    If you liked my journal prompt topic, you should also find out what your "bulletproof kink" is and write to that. Check out my friend Sonia Gensler's blog on "bulletproof kink." http://soniag.livejournal.com/249813.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe...great topic and what a term. I think I have a few "kinks" of my own. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe...great topic and term. I think I have a few "kinks" of my own. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete