Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Writer's Wednesday: Rowling Risks the Wrath of Muggles

Ouch. Some reviews of JK Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy are downright painful.

C'mon, folks!

You weren't really expecting a grown up Harry Potter, were you? I mean, there are very few books that have rocked the world in the way the occupants of Hogwarts did, and there have been about a kajillion writers trying. Give her a break.

Granted, the premise of the new novel does not interest me. However, I will buy--and probably read--the book for one reason:

I applaud Rowling for writing something else. She could have pulled a Margaret Mitchell or Harper Lee--hiding from public life and not producing another published work. She could have left the world wondering if she could write anything else. She doesn't need the money. She could be a one-hit (I know it was a series, but it's one story) wonder, but she didn't rest on her laurels. 

Go, you, J.K. Rowling!  I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment