Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Toddler Tuesday: It's Potty Time!

 
Big Boy Pee Pee Chart


Mommy: Let's go to the potty.
Max: (tilts head in consideration) Naw.  My did that last night.  My do that when I'm bigger.

Stellar mother that I am reasoned, he can just wear his soggy diaper until he can't stand it anymore, and then he'll want to be potty trained.

Wrong.

Pull-ups sagging past his knees, he's still disinterested in an alternative method. "No, tank-oo! My alright.  My okay."

This from the kid who refused to eat as a teeny-tiny infant unless his shirt was clean and dry.

People have shared their tricks.
Put Cheerios in the toilet and let him take aim. Little boys love that. 
Maybe. My kid is fickle.  He mastered sinking Cheerios with his first try and has shown no interest since. In fact, I fear he'd prefer to pluck one out and eat it.

Reward him with stickers. 
Yeah, we've done that for months.  Guess what? Now, he's not a big fan of stickers. In fact, if you take the kid to a toy store, he'd rather take home bandaids.

Ask him what it will take.
One couple asked their son this question, and the darling boy said, "I want a dump truck like Max's."  Three days later, their son had a new toy and big boy underwear.

Although bribery never seemed like a good idea before I was a parent, I'm all aboard the bribery train now. But it's not working.

I've stockpiled treasures so Max can select rewards--dinosaurs, boats, a fireman's hat. At a fundraiser, I won a little bike and a flask. His eyes lit up like Santa made it right in front of him. We thought the bike would be the big prize once he'd mastered the cause.

If you have any suggestions, please share.

I have a feeling the flask will get use before the bike.

4 comments:

  1. Can't rush it, he is not ready. I tried so hard before the 2nd one was born so I wouldn't have 2 in diapers. My oldest, who shall remain nameless, locked me out of the house and filled his pants. Some children have to be in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm trying to prevent two in diapers as well. Garrett and I have laughed about your oldest. What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi, Against the advise of many, I have been using dum dums, M&Ms and skittles! Jake has taken to it! When I ask Jack if he wants to go pee pee in the big boy potty and get an M&M, he responds, "No!" (On the other hand, Jake will do anything for candy!) Johnny also threw the cheerios in the toilet to have Jake take aim and he practically dove in after! Apparently toilet soaked Cheerios doesn't phase him! Good luck! I just purchased a Deigo toilet cover and training pants! Here's to getting one sweet tooth trained! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Max is with Jack and I'm going to have to go with what "Biggee" said. Wait. He shows no interest.

    I said, "What will it take for you to go in the potty?"

    He smiled sweetly. "My do it when my get bigger, Mommy."

    Promises promises.

    ReplyDelete