Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Favorite: The Corner of Nice and Neighborly

People often don't want to get involved.

Whether it's food in a coworker's teeth or a pal's open zipper, many won't tell the individual unknowingly making a fool of himself or herself.

Why?

When I was a little girl, I recall sitting in a restaurant when a woman exited the ladies' room trailing toilet paper--with her skirt tucked into her pantyhose.  NO ONE said a word to her, but as she passed tables, EVERYONE talked about her.

Why?

Even as a kid it bothered me, so as she sidled up to the salad bar, I told her.  It was the kind thing to do.

 In the last couple of weeks I've seen two random acts of kindness that warmed my heart.

The first one was when I saw 16-20 people all lifting a trailer, working together to re-hitch what had apparently come undone. They were strangers, but someone needed help.

Then yesterday, in the same intersection, I saw a man jump out of his car into four lanes of traffic to shut an open gas flap on the car in front of him. 

How many people would do that?

Have you witnessed someone help a stranger? Do you have insight as to why some people won't even tell a friend when he or she is unknowingly doing something embarrassing?


Journal: Write about an act of "nice and neighborly" kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment