Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Friends or Seinfeld?

 You can tell a lot about a person of a certain generation based on one simple question:

Do you prefer Friends...



or Seinfeld?


The characters of Friends met in a coffee shop. They lounged on the arms of sofas, practically inviting the other customers to join them.  With the exception of Ross's place, the group came and went freely and comfortably in their apartments.They knew they were always welcome. They were inclusive. What's theirs is yours and what's yours is theirs. It's the whole bff/roomie/family/gonnaget marriedorhaveababytogether concept.

The characters of Seinfeld made fun of people. A LOT. They didn't allow people into their inner circle.  My friends who prefer Seinfeld have a little harder edge to them. They mock the love fest. They are a little zany. They covet their alone time. They respect space and expect you to do the same, but if you make a Kramer entrance into their day, that's cool. After all, you may be flawed, but you're friends.

I would love to watch a show where the two sets of characters interact. Anyone write fanfic out there?

No matter what show my friends prefer, they remind me most of...
...with their sassy hair cuts, great shoes, and ability to save the day.

So, dear reader, what show do you prefer?
 




8 comments:

  1. Hands down, I was, am and always will be a Friends kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I might have guessed that about the Minivan Momma!

      Delete
    2. Friends, no contest. One of my favorite things about Friends was their ability to laugh at themselves. Me and the Marotta girls watch marathon Friends episodes and regularly reference it "remember that time when Rachel . . . " I cannot imagine us doing that with Seinfeld!

      Delete
    3. I had the Rachel haircut once. Only once. The hairstylist could not replicate it. What a mess! In college, my sorority sisters would pile into the tv room and watch. Post graduation and weddings, one of my pals came over every Thursday night for dinner and Friends. Perhaps I need a marathon session, too.

      Delete
  2. We seldom watched "Friends." Richard and I watched Seinfeld, but I seldom found it humorous, just kind of stupid. I did like Kramer, however. Our favorite sitcoms are Malcolm in the Middle, King of Queens, and The Nanny. We ADORE Third Rock from the Sun, a nerd's dream sitcom, and we also like The Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the point of Seinfeld was...pointlessness. So, finding it "stupid" was probably...the point.:)

      And I LOVE The Big Bang Theory!

      Delete
  3. You sure about Friends? I peg you for a Seinfeld girl. I watched both, but I laughed more during Seinfeld :) And Seinfeld endures. My kids watch Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your confusion. Like the S-cast, I get obsessed with minutia. I watched both, too. However, the reason I'm more of a Friends gal than Seinfeld has completely to do with the fact that the Seinfeld crew was so cliquish. Let's be honest...they wouldn't have allowed you or me into their twisted little world! So, I'll just stick with the Friends crew who would have completely accepted me once I married Joey. ;)

      Delete