Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Glamour slumber party

The Pope County Library in Russellville, Arkansas, knows how to throw a party...a slumber party, that is.The youth are lucky to have Lauren Drittler as their enthusiastic young adult librarian.

Following a writing workshop, girls ages 10 and up hung out in the library in their jammies. I totally wish I'd brought mine. Believe me, if I'm invited to any other Glamour slumber parties, I'm wearing pajamas. Some of the girls had the most amazing slippers. Way fun.

The organizers did their homework. All of the activities were inspired by my novel Glamour. So, I started the evening by reading a story. Mine of course!

A fairy feast took my breath away.
In the center of the table stood a figurine of a girl looking down on four little fairies. Rita Chisum, who found it, thought that it was similar to Kat with the Fayes and Naturals. When I saw it, I thought They get my book. I was touched because I recognized it as inspired by a painting that I looked at on a daily basis as I wrote my book. The girls were in awe, too. The table was perfect. I overheard a few marvel at the sparkly mini cupcakes. The petits fours were adorable. Fruit and marshmallows and cheese abounded.
Plus, there was a chocolate fountain fit for a Faye Midsummer's Eve festival. Can you believe it? A chocolate fountain. It was so cleverly done and beautifully displayed. If you're ever in Russellville, you've got to check out Jan Townshend's Reflections tea room. If you do, you'll know what kind of delightful treats I'm talking about.

Because the moon and stars have so much to do with the story, Georgia Beavers gave an interactive astronomy presentation.

American Indian storytelling was a part of the evening, too. Below Jeannie Stone supervises a few of the girls as they make dreamcatchers.
And what slumber party is complete without a manicure? Terri Williamson joined the girls.
I met Jeannie Stone when I spoke at HAWK's writing conference last year. The weekend was her brain child, and she has lots of creative and energetic friends who care a lot about their community. Jeannie even thought of the tiniest detail. Check out the pins we're all wearing--they're fairies. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks for the good times!
Terri Williamson, Rita Chisum, Lauren Drittler, moi, Jeannie Wichmann, Jan Townshend, Jeannie Stone.

2 comments:

  1. Brandi, You are such an amazing writer!!!! We loved having you and can't wait for another novel! Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glamour is an added advantage to girly parties. My sister in law is an event planner and is always busy in handling budgeted and big projects. Often gets contracts for LA event venues and all other preparations to be done there. She always speaks high about their mesmerizing interiors and locations.

    ReplyDelete