Friday, November 29, 2013

Friday Favorite: Catching Fire from Hunger Games

Warning***Spoilers***


Part of me dreaded watching Catching Fire. How could Peeta's character ever be redeemed?  Then I saw the movie. Even if you are a stickler for details, believe me when I tell you it is worth watching.

Just turn off the sound and watch.



butterfly dress by Alexander McQueen

Clothes
Since a pin helped spark a revolution and a dress helped the fire grow, it seems fitting that the clothes in this movie are incredible. Cinna is one of my favorite characters, but I applaud the real designers who costumed these actors.  Somehow, the Capitol clothes don't seem quite as over-the-top as in the first movie. In fact, they simply seem couture. The audience's acceptance of their look as normal is a triumph--the creators have truly made us voyeuristic members of the Capitol. I love-love-love that Effie wore Alexander McQueen's butterfly dress. The victors, too, have stepped up their look and make quite the statement. As soon as Katniss appeared onscreen, I wanted to learn to knit or crochet or...okay, I wanted to buy this cowl/vest thing.
photo from capitol couture.pn 
Each time the victors dressed up, I wondered how many versions will be at high school proms this year? Plus, I may pick up running if I can acquire a workout version of the shirt worn in the Quell.  I can't find it, but I did find the training gear here. Hmmm. Did the franchise possibly have marketing in mind? Buy the jewelry here, including the mocking jay pin, Finnick's necklace, and Peeta's art deco pendant (cast from the actual prop).

Peeta
Even though I will forever be a Gale girl, the book convincingly argued why Katniss would be attracted to Peeta.  He was yin to her yang.  They balanced each other. She needed him as much as he needed her. Plus, it was in first person so we live the love story through the eyes of Katniss and see how she is sometimes flat-out in awe of the boy with the bread. Not so in Hunger Games movie.  Peeta was a big ol' pansy.  All of the parts where he helped them survive were tossed out to show what a badass Katniss was. And that's just annoying.

Relief filled me as Catching Fire attempted to restore Peeta's dignity a little at a time. He was intelligent.  His talent for dealing with people was reinforced. I was feeling pretty good about Catching Fire making him seem like someone she'd actually prefer to the rebellious Gale. Then, they had him pansy up again. He was stumbling, she was rescuing...Blahblahblah.

However, at least this time around, he wasn't all pathetic puppy love and weakling. Josh Hutcherson has the opportunity to win over even Gale faithfuls in the third and fourth installments. Onscreen, he has the possibility to grow and change more than any other character.

Casting
All in all, I think Catching Fire was a much better movie than the first one.  I screamed, gasped, curled up in my chair, etc.  And I've read the book three times. I've only been that crazy obsessive with one other series. Initially, Finnick wasn't quite what I'd imagined. Then I went home and read how Katniss described Finnick as "too pretty" for her tastes. Yep. The casting was right on. Now, I adore him. And I believed he'd been passed around the Capital women for almost ten years.  I absolutely loved the casting of Mags and Johanna. Perfection.

Madge
I did, however, miss characters--especially Madge. Remember the girl who gave Katniss the mockingjay pin?  The girl whose aunt died in the Quarter Quell Haymitch won?  The only girlfriend Katniss had?(What? Katniss had a friend besides Gale? Who might have even had a crush on him and been a better fit for Gale than Katniss?) No?  You must have only seen the movie.  She was cut.   By giving the pin to Katniss, Madge revealed the heart of a rebel. As the daughter of the mayor, she knew what it represented. However,  since they couldn't neuter her like Peeta they just amputated her. Peeta, Madge, Darius (what? who's he?!) were silenced as much as an Avox, preventing anyone from portraying Katniss as more of a person doing great things rather than some kind of superhero. Perhaps to cover these misdeeds, the character of President Snow's granddaughter was introduced in the movie.  Really? Really?

Extras
If you're throwing a watch party, it wouldn't be complete without this Happy Hunger Games banner.
Consider wearing this mocking jay full skirt. 


If you just can't get enough Hunger Games, check out this online magazine called Capitol Couture. See stylish pictures and insider information.  If you don't already, you'll feel just like a citizen of Panem when you peruse the pages.

Here are some other posts I've written about the Hunger Games trilogy. 

Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor.


So, did the movie measure up to your expectations? What did you love or loathe? How many movie watchers plan to read the book?  

12 comments:

  1. Your post was WAY more fun to read than participating in Black Friday shopping! Lovin' that butterfly dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shel. My heart caught in my throat when I saw that dress. I'm probably wrong, but I think it was part of the last season that Alexander McQueen designed before his death. Such talent...gone.

      Delete
  2. Great job! Can't wait to see it now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I want to see it again just to catch all the clothes.

      Delete
  3. I might be the only person on the planet who is not a huge fan of The Hunger Games, but I did enjoy seeing all the fashions in the first movie. And I'm with you and Shel regarding the butterfly dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee Dee, you need to check out some of Effie's shoes. During the movie, I thought of you and wondered if you'd wear a certain pair.If you liked the first movie fashions, you will love the second one.

      Delete
  4. I've read a lot of articles about the fashion in the movie, and they echo what you so astutely noticed: the fashion is mostly based on actual couture fashion. And funnily enough, right before I read this, we were at Walgreens and my kids were howling over the Hunger Games-themed makeup displays. "Look! You can look like DIstrict 4!" Funny!

    Love your post, it's got me re-reading the series in anticipation of taking my kids to see the movie (I prefer to wait until it's less of a thing; crowds make me stabby), but reading your post definitely got me more excited to head to the theater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw a commercial last night for the makeup. It cracked me up!

      When I came home from the sneak peek last Thursday, I read Catching Fire AGAIN. Then I read the final one, too. (I'd only read the last one once because it's so...believable.) Anyway, I think I enjoyed the movie because it had been a while since I'd read it. It was much more fun to watch it and re-read it than sit there being irritated for all the things that were cut. Hope you enjoy it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. This second installment was SO much stronger! I was gripping my armrest and half-crying through the whole thing. Clearly you remembered a lot more from the book -- all I remembered was the ending, so I was happily swept up in all the drama. And I do love me some Peeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't the arena perfect?

      After re-reading Mockingjay, I'm convinced the movies will redeem Peeta properly. I look forward to watching him in the next two installments...but I really look forward to seeing more of Gale.;)

      Delete
  6. With all of this mockingjay love going around I am going to be a Debbie Downer. I am far more interested in your account of the fashion than watching the movie, the series disturbs me on many levels. But- the clothes . . . now that is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to watch it for the fashion, Lisa. You'll love it.

      Delete