Monday, March 24, 2008

I love my library

I only recently moved to New Jersey. Since then, a lot of money has left my wallet to find its home with bookstores. Buying books is a good thing, but I also like checking them out for free at the library. Last Friday I finally got my new library card.

This weekend I went to the Jersey Shore, celebrated Easter with friends, and read those four books. It felt great. None of them were deep or depressing books; they were delightful escapism.

Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series is always light and fun. I'm a little behind, so I read Volume VIII, Princess on the Brink. The ending was like one of those to be continued tv shows, so I went to her website and read the beginning of the next one.

Then, to continue my reading marathon that was the equivalent of eating one chocolate after another, I read Janet Evanovich's Plum Lucky. Sure, she's formulaic, but do I care? Nope. The comedic timing is brilliant. Stephanie Plum and Lula always make me laugh. (And I swear I saw Lula's cousin on the train a couple of weeks ago headed to Trenton!) The Between-the-Numbers novels bother me a bit, though, because Ranger isn't featured. Every gal's life is better with Ranger.

I'd read a lot about Ally Carter's series I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. Mostly on her agent's blog. So, I checked it out. Good times. It's Hogwarts for female spies. I must be in the right genre for the weekend because the last person who checked out the book had also checked out Princess at the same time. (I found the library receipt stuck in the book jacket.)

Lastly I read Lisa Fiedler's Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story, which pretty much follows Shakespeare's play to the extent that anybody who is having trouble in class can read this and understand the plot and characters better. She even lifts lines straight from the play and creates her own rhyming couplets in an attempt to emulate Will's style. However, she cleverly weaves a love story between Rosaline and Benvolio. Really, they're the only characters in the play who exhibit true honor and virtue, so it's easy to want them to be together.

It's time for me to go back to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment